The Tina Topix

Below you'll find my blog entries by label in series format including:

Feast--usually a sample of film or TV commentary
Glove--thoughts of peeling off the "glove" of overconsumptiveness & addiction
Innocence--of guilty pleasures, "silly" interests to shock and fascinate you
Portfolio Soul/Portfolio Song--showing the profound power of diversity in artistic/spiritual influence
Poem/Lyric--creative snippets from the psyche
Alone--not in any series, just "stand-alone" entries detailing a few more adventures

So check 'em all out, and PLEASE...leave your comments and make your mark! I'm so glad you stopped by today, and happy blog-browsing!

Friday, May 1, 2009

In Transition--the personal angle

"Knowing that you don't know is the first and most essential part of knowing, you know?" --from the movie 'Synecdoche, New York', written and directed by Charlie Kaufman

It's May Day 2009 and I am once again in transition. Actually, when are we ever not in transition? However, that sense of "moving on up" into a higher, deeper place is even more palpable than usual. Some things in life are grrrrrreat, some things greatly suck. Same with the world at large (see previous sentence for my assessment of Obama's first 100 days). I've aged, and so has the world.

Have you ever seen those "life coaching" exercises where you break your life up into slices of a pie, and take the proverbial "good, long look" at them all, the "searching and fearless moral inventory" of twelve-steppers fame? They say that the unexamined life is not worth living, and a few also add that the unlived life is not worth examining. Well, this life has so far been anything but both unlived and unexamined. And that's just this past year; and that's really just this past week.

No big earth-shaking developments, just a gently growing internal virus of...dare I call it wisdom? Another good word would be surrender. Battling the good in life, keeping it out with addictiveness, doubt, fear, and other varying degrees of utter behaviorial madness -- it's time to surrender and say, once and for all, I was not born for unhappiness. My best days are ahead of me, and come what may, I'm going to live in freedom, because somebody somewhere said "freedom is a beautiful thang..."

It's been a serenity prayer year, filled with all kinds of personal upheaval, plans made and unmade, people passing through as their reasons and seasons of presence in my life come to a screeching halt. God has been his usual perfect, awesome, patient, and grace-extending. My husband Brandon continues to be "the brightest spot" in it all, even as he perseveres through his own changes.

Without going into any specifics at all, I'll just say that lots and lots of smoke is finally starting to clear, revealing an increasingly focused picture of my destiny and dreams. Less outcome-based, more organic and principle-based. Less controlled and controlling, more openness. Less tolerating, more celebrating. Less knowing, more not knowing as a kind of knowledge of its own. Less lost in the land of the found, more found in the land of the lost.

In light of the upcoming launch for our new band, this space and time probably should have been devoted to rhapsodizing about bella soul. All in good time, not everything has to be about that. Snoop us out, keep tabs, follow the creatiVEntures here (still under construction):

www.bellasoulmusic.com
www.myspace.com/bellasoulmusic
www.twitter.com/bellasoulmusic

I will only be posting here on a monthly basis, unless I get real ambitious and literary lightning bolts strike. I'll be posting more often at www.bellasoulmusic.com.

"Life is good, life is grand, when I'm holding the hand,
Of my strong pure-hearted man, who always loves me for exactly who I am"
--from 'Life Is Good' by me

I'm in transition. So are you though you may not acknowledge it. In times like this, we find out what the water is, and what the rocks are, in our lives. I'm learning that the so-called rocks tend to flow through, and that after all this time, it's the water that is the constant.

PS--Listen to these if the mood hits ya; I speak better about life, and my own life, through song.
www.twiturm.com/phbi
www.twiturm.com/38rc

No comments: